Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Happy Birthday Elaine! Hope U like Your Sunflowers Bouquet!

Recently, I have an order from an ex-colleague. She wants to order a half dozen bouquet of sunflowers for her colleague cum best friend's birthday.

To be honest, I have always wanted to make sunflowers but never get a chance to make it as I don't know how it will turn out. I have no confidence to even try it last time!

So, when I receive an order, I told myself, somehow I need to overcome it. 

I begin with doing a lot of researches on sunflowers, the shape, the back of it, the colour, etc...thanks to the Internet, I managed to find what I am looking for!

This is one nice bouquet, photo downloaded from the Internet...

Of course, this is a huge bouquet, so, I need to reduce the number of sunflowers to only 6 stalks.

Then, I started to research on flowers that represent friendship, since this is a custom make bouquet with a personalised touch!

I found two flowers: 

This is White Hydrangea. It symbolises friendship & devotion. It represents understanding & it is seen as 1 of the purest ornamental flowers. Its magnificent bloom is a bouquet of dedication & it can be described as heavenly beautiful & charming. (Source: onlineflowerguide.com)

This is Yellow Acacia (photo source from Environmental World of Australia). The symbolic meaning of Acacia are friendship, secret love, beauty in retirement & chaste love. You can find a lot of this plant in Australia.

It took me about 3 hours to do all the researches & to find a sample that I like...then, it is back to my thinking zone.

According to my ex-colleague, she doesn't want the bouquet to be too huge or too heavy; & I have to include the White Hydrangea & Yellow Acacia into the bouquet...

So, this is what I made...

A bouquet of White Hydrangea, with some fern leaves...

Up-close pictures of it...

Then I made 3 stalks of Yellow Acacia. Each stalk contains 3 little yellow balls. Again, I added some fern leaves.

Up-close pictures...

After completed these 2, now the most 'fun' part...the SUNFLOWERS!

I started the experiment with the centre, then the petals...here's what I got...

This is a very large sunflower! Just so you know how huge this sunflower is, I made a comparison with my iPad mini...

I think I'm very satisfied with the outcome, so I continued with the other 5 stalks. I've decided to put 2 large stalks & 4 smaller ones.

Here's the small ones...

For comparison...the small flower is as big as my palm.

If I put both large & small together, you'll see a huge difference...

Now, I need to make the back part of the flowers...

Here's the picture I downloaded from the Internet...

Hm...very complicated back...so, this is what I made...

OK, all the flowers are ready, now the stems! I used lots of lots of wire stems for this bouquet as the flowers are rather heavy...I need a good support for it to stand up...oh, I also used balloon sticks for the very 1st time...loved it so much...I think I will continue to use it from now onwards. I then wrapped my stems with 8-ply green yarn. My 1st time too! If you know me, I always use ribbons to wrap my stem. I think the outcome is not bad huh...

These 2 are the large ones...

And, these are the small ones...

Ok...all done...except...where to put the name card? So, I made this, together with a clip beneath it...yes, it's a butterfly...:)

All done finally...now, this is a very challenging part for me as I am not very good with flower arrangements. But I think I passed...what do you think? :D

I asked a friend to hold the flowers so I can take the pictures...

The butterfly is so cute & prominent huh...

Final touch...the red ribbon to hold all together tightly...

And, it is ready to be delivered...

Oh, since I also know this colleague who is celebrating her birthday, & since she had requested a bunny rabbit as a present from me...here's what I made...I also bought her a cake...

On the way to meet her new owner...

This is a picture that my ex-colleague sent me when the bouquet & bunny rabbit is received....

All in all, my 1st bouquet of sunflower is a huge success! :D I might even consider making some for myself, when I have time...:P

Total duration took to make this bouquet: 48 man hours, not inclusive of research time. The experience: priceless! :D

Happy birthday to you, Elaine! May your year be blessed with more happiness & joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment